Friday, December 7, 2012

Building a Wardrobe

Hello all~

Sorry I've been away these days.  I've been working on a new layout for this blog, and I wanted to come back when it was finished, but it's taking longer than I hoped.  But I really felt like posting, so I guess the big reveal will happen later!


Guys, I've been feeling a little down lately.
It feels like everyone and their dog is buying a thousand-some pieces for their Gyaru wardrobe and leaving me in the dust.

Due to a new monetary obligation and my own inability to save money, I haven't touched my clothing wishlist.   Sure, I still look at all the pretty clothing as they come and go on Yumetenbo and mbok, but I always feel so guilty for not jumping on them when I could have.  I've missed out on so many things, so I feel like a bad Hime because I'm not making much progress when it feels like it's so easy for everyone else....



For those of you who don't know me yet, I love me some plans!   I love making them, I love enacting them....  I recently got a planner in hopes of it helping me save better for a (hopeful) trip to Japan next year for my birthday, but because it's November and I can't use it until January of next year, I've started writing Post-It notes about what I plan to do in each of the sections.  Yes, I've made plans on how to use my planner when I plan to use it next year.  I'm on the fast track to cool!


So you'll imagine my surprise and my subsequent delight when I came across this article.   You see, it's been a bit of a struggle for me to determine where to start with my wardrobe.  I've added some shirts and a couple of dresses, but it doesn't really feel like much, it's not nearly enough to go full on Hime more than twice a month, and it's definitely nothing that can be mixed and matched among each other.  I've been looking for a good basis, but I wasn't really sure what it would be.   There's so many cute things that trigger my "Waaaaaant!!!" switch, but before I can even think of hitting the 'Buy it Now' button, I can't even think of what I'd wear with the item.  Then I realize I might have to buy a whole new set of clothing to go with said item.  Which means I have to find other things to go with the new stuff that I bought to go with the first item!  It's so overwhelming and confusing for me, and I don't want to end up with a bunch of things I can either only pair with a couple things, or, worse yet, things I can't wear with anything else!  If I can't find a reason to wear something, I won't wear it!


Now, the article is specifically about building a Lolita wardrobe, but honestly, it can be tailored to fit any alternative fashion.  Maybe instead of dresses, you need certain kinds of pants, or maybe you don't require hair accessories.  As for me, instead of a pannier, I added a section for pants and shorts.

Hopefully, my fukubukuro from went through.   I ordered the trunk, so I'll be getting 10 new pieces to my collection~  Or at least, I really hope so.  It wouldn't let me use my card, so I had to use the Tenso shopping service, and they couldn't get back to me until Monday night.   The next evening, the trunk sold out, and I don't know when it happened, so I'm constantly checking my mail to see if they'll send my money back.  They haven't yet, and I'm hoping they won't!   It would be an excellent start for my collection, especially because chances are high that the clothing will be in pink, brown, and cream, which is the color scheme I've decided to start with.


On a slightly related note, starting on my birthday (which just happens to be when I get my first check after Christmas), I'll be saving up for my trip to Japan.   My plan is to go around December 29th, 2013 (originally, I wanted to go on my birthday, but that would mean I'd have to come back January 2nd, which is when all the sales go up, and I really want to be there for New Year's Eve too).   While I haven't started on too many plans involving accommodations (probably a hostel though) or any sort of itinerary besides hitting the sales on the 2nd, I'm sure I'll come up with something as I go along.   It'll be my first time outside of the country and my first time to Japan, so I think I'll stay in one place this time.  That's why I really want to start my wardrobe this year.  For the next year, I'm planning on only buying one piece of clothing per month, since I won't have as much money to play around with.  I've done the math, and as long as my hours don't drastically get cut, I can spare the money needed for the trip, pay for my gas and credit card (it might be a little tighter come summer when gas prices rise), buy a bit of food, and still have some money to spare for my trip.  I'll just have to hunker down and lower my spending on random things.  I think I can do this.


I'll continue to work on my blog in the meantime.

10 comments:

  1. I cannot wait too see what you got in the trunk! Please share when it comes! XD Wah! And hey, that was a really good article. I'm currently getting rid of so much stuff in my closet so I can have nothing but Gyaru so it was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! I'm so excited, I wish I didn't have to wait until January to see it! O_O

      And I'm glad it could help ^^

      Delete
  2. Yes, please post photos of your new bundle when you get it! It sounds so exciting. ^.^

    I totally get what you mean about getting one thing, and then having it snowball into several other things just to make the first item go with something. I just recently bought a blouse and a skirt from Anna House as a gift to myself for my birthday.... then I realised I have no shoes to go with the outfit! X_X I just did a clothing dump too, like Bunny.Berri described, and a lot of the clothing was a bunch of things that didn't go with anything else I had; and I didn't even like any of them enough to get other things to go with them.

    You are so thorough with your planning! Don't forget to add the cost of a passport to your list! I hope it's all a success, and that you'll be having a blast shopping in Japan a year from now. Do you plan on going all alone or on bringing a friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do so! The trunk is just gorgeous, it almost makes me want to use it like a regular purse when I get it, lol.

      I have indeed factored in my passport costs ^^ In fact, I already wrote it in my planner to buy it about 3 months before the trip XD I'll be going by myself, as my friends are pretty broke and seem to foresee themselves remaining broke next year too. It's a little sad that I might not get to experience it with them, but to be honest, we'd all be there for so many different reasons, I'm not even sure we'd be hanging out together all that much unless we were eating!

      Delete
  3. I totally feel for you! I too have been in a sort of slump with my current wardrobe. My motivation has been at an all time low and (a little bit of thanks to the cold weather and school) I never have the motivation to look pretty when going outside. I am hoping that I will be able to cure this slump by this upcoming Christmas by buying some new pieces for my wardrobe! ^^ Or heck, even crafting will help bunches! The trick is basically trying to figure out what to get!

    I wish you the best of luck with the trip to Japan and you are right! Planning is key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a clothing wishlist has actually really helped out. It's really helped me focus, and I don't feel so overwhelmed by choices ^_^

      And thank you, I'm trying really hard!

      Delete
  4. Hey, it's Sparkle Melody! ;u; I went on hiatus and stupidly forgot the password to my account, so I had to make a new one haha! Can't wait to see what you got in your fukubukuro! Have you ever considered sewing up a few one-of-a-kind wardrobe pieces (if you know how to sew/want to learn)? ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do consider it, but I'm not really sure how to combine ideas, like to have a pattern for a dress, but a sleeve from another dress and a collar from another thing, like that. I'd like to go to school for it so I can just make my own clothes that fit me best.

      Anyway, I'm sure you've seen I've followed you again ^_^

      Delete
  5. good luck on building your wardrobe! I'll start collecting more lolita items too <3

    ReplyDelete